Nobody likes having a clogged drain. They can cause a mess, interfere with daily activities, produce foul odors, and just frustrate any homeowner. Here are some of the main common culprits that cause a clogged drain:
Common Things that Cause a Clogged Drain
- Hair – The number one offender of clogged bathroom sink and shower drains is hair. A preventative measure is to use filters or strainers that catch the hair before going down the drain.
- Grease – Grease from pots, pans and dishes, is the top cause of drain clogs in the kitchen. Warm grease goes down the drain as a liquid but solidifys as it cools down and can build up in your plumbing systems over time. Never pour grease down the drain! It can help to occasionally pour boiling water down the drain. This breaks down and washes out grease build-up.
- Food – Food is also a common cause of drain clogs. Lots of food build up over time can cause poor drainage. It’s a good idea to use a sink strainer to prevent food from building up in the pipes.
- Paper – Feminine products, too much toilet paper, and paper towels can cause unruly clogged drains. Toilets and pipes are not built to handle mass amounts of paper products- especially thicker paper products that don’t break down quickly. Toilet paper is made to break down quickly so small to moderate amounts are fine to use.
- Toys – Surprisingly, toys are a big offender of plumbing drain issues. Educate your children and limit their access to toilets and drains to avoid the high cost of curious kids!
If you’ve got a clogged drain, Richie ‘D’ Drain Cleaning, LLC offers professional drain cleaning services and other sewer cleaning services to the Bergen County and Hudson County area in towns such as North Bergen, Harrison, Hoboken, Union City, Jersey City, West New York, Hackensack, Rutherford, Lodi, Englewood, and many more. For more information, contact us at (201) 583-9339 or visit our website.