Are you having problems with a clogged drain? Sometimes a clog can be so severe that you need the services of a professional drain cleaning company. Unfortunately, there are many shady drain cleaning companies out there who will try to take advantage of unknowing customers. Here are some ways to help avoid becoming the victim to a scam or unnecessary service from a drain cleaning company.
Spotting a Shady Drain Cleaning Company
- Know how to spot the wrong questions – sometimes a drain cleaning company will attempt to prey upon the elderly and widowed. There are companies that train their employees on how to spot a susceptible candidate. They are taught to ask questions like, “Is your husband at home?” or “Are you divorced?” When they get the answer they are looking for they descend upon their prey.
- Watch out for “evidence” – Employees of dishonest drain cleaning company owners are taught techniques to convince homeowners that they have worse problems than they actually have. Some will travel in pairs and while one is upstairs getting information about the customer the other is down stairs spreading dirt in specific spots that they say indicate the sewer pipe is broken and forcing the dirt up through the concrete.
- Make sure you’re not watching a rerun – Video inspections and jetting can be valuable tools for our industry if used properly. However, they can cause people misery in the hands of a sketchy drain cleaning service. Video cameras can be useful in locating buried septic systems or inspecting the condition of buried pipes to determine proper maintenance schedules or the extent of necessary repairs. When the corrupt salesperson takes control of the camera he may play a pre-taped inspection of a pipe in very bad condition and tell you it is your pipe.
- A bit about liners – Another popular product sewer cleaners are selling these days are liners. Liners are a cloth tube covered on one side with a layer of PVC that is embedded with a two part epoxy resin and then usually blown into the existing pipe. There are several problems with these devices. Firstly, they tend to cost as much as excavating the old pipe and installing a new pipe. The sales team pitches that the best thing about these units are that you don’t disturb landscaping. This is true but you also don’t get a new pipe and landscaping usually will be back to its original condition in less than a year.
- Remember the basics – Remember to check the background of your draining cleaning company with organizations like the Better Business Bureau. If someone is using fear of costly sewer overflow damage or high pressure sales techniques, take a step back and get a second opinion.
If you’ve got a clogged drain, Richie ‘D’ Drain Cleaning, LLC is a trusted and reliable drain cleaning company that services to the Bergen County and Hudson County area. Some service towns include North Bergen, Harrison, Hoboken, Union City, Jersey City, West New York, Hackensack, Rutherford, Lodi, Englewood, Bayonne, and many more. For more information, contact us at (201) 583-9339 or visit our website.